SAMHSA: A Celebration of 20 Years
Twenty years ago, Congress created the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, or SAMHSA, a new, innovative, public health agency, dedicated to the prevention and treatment of and recovery from mental and substance use disorders. SAMHSA's founding marked a new era in the federal approach to behavioral health, one in which, I'm proud to say, SAMHSA has made a lasting impact on the lives of Americans—particularly those living with or at risk of a mental or substance use disorder—their friends, and their families.
To help us mark SAMHSA's 20th anniversary, please join us on Thursday, October 4, from 8:30 a.m. until 1 p.m., eastern time, for a live webcast of "SAMHSA: A Celebration of 20 Years," an event at which we will reflect on SAMHSA's past, take stock of our present, and consider SAMHSA's role in improving the Nation's behavioral health in the next 20 years.
We have an exciting program planned, including three expert panels that will focus on the evolution of behavioral health, current imperatives, and future directions for SAMHSA and the field.
Confirmed speakers include:
• Bill Corr, Deputy Secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
• Philip Wang, M.D., Dr.P.H., Deputy Director, National Institute for Mental Health
• Michael Botticelli, M.Ed., Former Director, Bureau of Substance Abuse Services, Massachusetts Department of Health, and Nominee for Deputy Director, Office of National Drug Control Policy
• Jacki McKinney, M.S.W., Consumer Advocate
• Beverly Haberle, M.H.S., Executive Director, Council of Southeast Pennsylvania
In addition, all six former SAMHSA Administrators and Acting Administrators will join me to reflect on SAMHSA's rich history and bright future:
• Elaine McDowell, Ph.D.
• Nelba Chavez, Ph.D.
• Joseph Autry, M.D.
• Charles Curie, M.A., ACSW
• Terry Cline, Ph.D.
• Eric Broderick, RADM, D.D.S.
I hope you will be able to join us as we usher in another 20 years of leadership, innovation, and collaboration.
Pamela S. Hyde, J.D., SAMHSA Administrator
Instructions To Join "SAMHSA: A Celebration of 20 Years" on the Day of the Event
To join the webcast on the day of this event, please visit
Please log in a few minutes before the start of the event. If you are having trouble logging in, please call the ChorusCall help desk at 412-858-1395.
Keywords: SAMHSA, celebration, webcast, anniversary